With a recent increase in fuel price following an increase in April it seems we might be facing another increase in June. This is all due to Vat adjustments, rising costs, Fuel levy tax to accommodate the Road Accident Fund increase.
So here are a few fuel saving tips to get the most out of your buck when it counts.
- Roadworthiness – Get your car checked up by an AA approved workshop like ours and they will do a comprehensive check on the electrics and mechanical of the car which if faulty generally affects fuel consumption. All car manufactures ensure that vehicles maintain optimum fuel efficiency.
- Tyres play a major role in fuel consumption, ensuring you have good tyres that is wearing evenly and running smooth will determine if the car gets to factory consumption figures. Wheel balancing and alignment is equally important if either one is not correct the car will not be running smoothly.
- Braking system may not seem to affect fuel but if you have worn brake pads and discs that is causing a shudder it will automatically affect the easy flow of the vehicle resulting in high brake force and increased acceleration.
- Servicing on time may just seem like tedious task but with online service application’s it has never been easier and most vehicles have an indicator when it is due. Doing your service on time regulates part’s that increase fuel consumption as they wear Eg. Fuel filters, air filters and oil filters.
- Coasting does seem like a great way to save fuel and was the an effective way on the older model’s which did not have fuel injection, newer vehicles only release fuel when accelerating so it’s better to coast in gear rather than in neutral selection.
There are many other ways to save fuel that does not involve the vehicles smooth running like carpooling or ride sharing, not using the Aircon all the time and lowering the load on all non-essentials in the vehicle like big bags. Most cars that have a turbo which effectively recycles energy lowering fuel consumption and increasing power. Pop into CMH Umhlanga for a 50 point check service or to view our wide range of Fuel Saving vehicles.